The Brooklyn Robot Foundry summer sessions offer fun, educational week-long sessions where kids get a chance to design, build and play with robots. They will also engage in brainstorming, experimenting, and spending time outside.
While the emphasis is on play, kids learn mechanical and electrical principles as well. They will create robots that have systems similar to such everyday objects as vibrating cell-phone motors and scooters, and build on their prior knowledge and experience.
Our Manhattan Robot Foundry is located in TriBeCa at 528 Canal Street. We have a wonderful, large space with the right set of tools and materials that allow creative, guided robot design and creation.
We will be offering three different types of sessions this summer.
This week is designed with our future engineers in mind. Each day the students will make two different robot vehicles while learning all sort of new engineering terms and concepts. If your child really enjoys building and understanding how things work, this is the perfect week for them!
The kids will take home all of their creations and really understand the basics of making robots. The week is a really great combination of learning and fun. By the end of the week the kids will have built 9 custom robots!
What are the projects?
- Light Up Robot
- Vibrating Robot
- Crazy Robot
- Emergency Robot
- Solar Powered Boat
- Cable Car
- Flying Robot
Each day we will take the kids outside to Hudson River Park for lunch. We will also be taking the kids on a few field trips to test out their robots and for a scavenger hunt. All field trips are within easy walking distance of the store.
This week is designed with our future designers in mind. If your child has a creative streak and really gets excited about designing the coolest looking things, then this is the week for them. Each day the students will make one robot and robotic structure. In total they will be taking home 9 different, awesome creations!
They will learn all sort of engineering terms and concepts and be given plenty of time to make their creations their very own. Each day has a different theme with the last day culminating in an awesome event where we decorate a humungous 12 foot tall robot!
What are the projects?
- Medieval Times: Horse/Dragon Robot & Drawbridge
- Outer Space: Alien Mask & Pulsar
- Prehistoric Times: Walking Dino & Flying Dino
- By the Sea: Treasure Chest & Lighthouse
- Robot Universe: Extender Arm & Giant Robot
Each day we will take the kids outside to Hudson River Park for lunch.
We will only be offering one week of this super awesome session! We will be using the fantastic Hummingbird robotics kit to teach programming. This versatile platform was designed at Carnegie Melon’s CREATE lab.
It is the perfect introduction to programming as it combines hands-on building and art with real electronics (servos, LEDs, motors, sensors) with programming. No previous programming experience is necessary. The kids will work in small groups and create robots that interact with the other robots and environment.
Age of Students:
Our programs are for children entering 1st grade through entering 7th grade. The weeks are broken down by age group. See below for the specific age ranges by week.
$ 510 for three day session (June 11-13th)
$ 680 for four day session (June 30-July 3rd)
$ 850 for full week sessions
Extended day from 3:00-6:30pm= $15/hour
Session Dates & Registration
All registration must occur online. If you already have an account, please use your account information to register your child. If you do not yet have an account, you can create one during the registration process.
Please make sure you complete the entire form during registration. One of the last screens of the registration process will be where you enter your email address. If you haven’t reached that screen, you aren’t quite done. The very last screen will be a confirmation screen.
Aug 25-29: Robot Vehicles
- Manhattan Location (528 Canal Street)
- For students entering 1st grade through entering 4th grade (entering K is okay as long as they have been in all day PreK)
- $850- 9:00-3:00pm
- Extended day available till 6:30pm
- One spot available! Register now.
- When is drop-off in the morning? Our doors open at 8:40 am. Class officially starts at 9:00 am.
- When is pick-up? Normal class ends at 3:00. We offer extended days from 3:00-6:30 pm for an additional 15$/hour.
- What will the kids be doing during extended day? Extended day is pretty chill and more like choice time at school. The kids will not be doing additional electronic projects but can further embellish their robots. We may also take them outside for a bit.
- We may want to do extended day but aren’t sure on the exact days/times yet. What information do you need from us ahead of time? We don’t need anything. Each day when you sign your child in for the summer session, you can tell us the estimated time your child will be picked up that day. Then when the child is picked up, we will ask you to pay for that day’s extended time ($15/hour).
- What should my child bring each day?
- A packed lunch (that does not contain any nuts or peanuts)
- At least one snack & 2-3 snacks if the child will be staying for extended day (that does not contain any nuts or peanuts)
- A water bottle
- Rain gear & sunscreen if applicable (we will go outside every day)
- A reusable tote to bring their robots home each day
- Will food/lunch/snacks be provided? No, we do not provide food. Please send your child with a packed lunch and snacks that do not contain any nuts or peanuts of any kind. If your child will be staying for extended day, please provide them with 1-2 extra snacks
- Some summer sessions that my children attend require medical forms from our doctor. Does your summer session require this form? No, we do not need that form. We just need you to fill out all information during the registration process which includes general medical questions about your child.
- My child has a bike/scooter. Can they store it at the Foundry while they are in the session? Sure!
- Will my child take the robots home? For Robot Vehicles and Robot Universe, kids will be bringing all sorts of robotic projects home. One of the criteria we use when designing our activities is selecting materials and projects that kids can continue to work on and tinker with after the program is over. For the Robot Programming session, the kids will be working in small groups on a joint project. The projects will stay at the Foundry at the end of the session.
- Will there be outside time each day? We will spend some time outside every day. Please send your child with appropriate clothing (raincoats, sunblock, etc).
- What park(s) will the kids go to during the day? For lunch we will go to Hudson River Park which is right across the street from the store. There is a cross walk right on Canal so it is a very safe crossing. During extended day, we may take the kids to Pier 25. If the kids are signed up for Robot Vehicles we will also take them to Albert Capsouto park to test out their water vehicles. For Capsouto park, we will walk with the kids on the back streets (i.e. not Canal street) and access the park via the pedestrian bridge.
- What ages do you accept into the sessions? Each week has a different age range but we accommodate kids as young as entering 1st grade and as old as entering 7th grade.
- What does a typical day look like?
- 8:40-9:00 Drop off
- 9:00 Discovery & exploration
- 9:30 Robot/structure building activity #1
- 10:30 Snack
- 11:00 Discovery/Choice time
- 12:00 Visit to park to eat lunch
- 1:00 Robot/structure building activity #2
- 2:30 Wrap up and Clean up
- 3:00 Pick-up and the start of extended day
- 3:00-6:30 Extended day option ($15/hour)
- Is there a sibling discount? Yes. You will receive a 10% discount if you register two or more siblings. The discount will occur automatically in your online cart at checkout.
- My child has never built robots before, is that okay? Sure, no problem at all! They don’t have to have any experience, we will teach them all they need to know.
- My child took your summer session last year. Will there be new material this year? Yes, there will be loads of new projects. Feel free to enroll your child again this summer.
- Can my child take multiple weeks of the same curriculum (e.g. two weeks of Robot Vehicles)? We would not recommend this as the weeks will have the same curriculum and your child may become bored. But feel free to sign your child up for multiple weeks of different curriculum (e.g. Robot Vehicles and Robot Forts & Cities).
- What is the child to teacher ratio? The ratio is about 5-6 children to one adult staff member.
- Who are we?
We started Brooklyn Robot Foundry to inspire and motivate kids by teaching them about the fun of building. We love the idea of learning and coming together through making things. We believe in the DIT—do it together— mentality and the importance of building a community around this common goal. We have backgrounds in mechanical engineering, software, education, music and fine art. We strive to make an environment that is educational, community based and most of all fun.
- What is your cancellation policy? From the day you register until 4 weeks before the session, you will not get a refund but you can use that money towards a different summer session, class or birthday party (subject to availability). After that point, all money will be non-transferable and not refundable. In addition, there will be a non-refundable cancellation fee of $150 for any cancellations that occur after April 1, 2014. We reserve the right to cancel a program due to low registration. If this happens, you will be refunded your full amount.
- Did my registration go through okay? If you completed the registration process, the last thing you will see is a confirmation screen. You will also receive an email confirming your order. If you didn’t get to a screen where you entered your email address and credit card information, then you didn’t complete the registration.
- Do I pay the full amount up front? Yes. See #18 above for cancellation policy.
- Why does the Manhattan program cost more than the Brooklyn program? Will the kids be doing the same activities? The curriculum will be the same in both locations. The price difference is because our rent in Manhattan is literally twice our Brooklyn rent.