Robot Inventors is an advanced version of our signature online After School class for children 9-12 years old. These classes are great for new builders, as well as those seeking a more open-ended robot-building experience. Each week features a different robot project, which students can build or develop into their own creation.
Feb 7 – June 13
no classes: 2/21, 4/15-22, 5/30
$512 program + $160 materials fee
Late registrations will automatically be prorated at checkout.
What to Expect
We will send you a package of Robokits before the session begins. At the start of each class, children will be introduced to the parts and engineering concepts of the week. Our amazing teachers will then guide the students through building their own super cool robot, step-by-step.
A new project will be introduced each week, as part of the overall theme. This is considered an inquiry-based class, with ample space for experimentation. Students may choose to stick with the week’s scripted project, or they can take their own path, taking a hand at turning their ideas into a reality.
Our theme for the fall semester is The Originators. We’ll begin with Creature Creations, in which we’ll originate our own robot animals. Then it’s time to make our very own self-irrigating garden and watch the plants thrive in our Roboponics unit. We’ll finish up with Inventors’ Inventions, in which we’ll make robots inspired by inventions named after their originators, and then we’ll use all of our newfound knowledge to make our own original robots.
- Classes meet weekly for one hour via Zoom.
- Children will be placed in small groups of 6 students or less.
- All materials are sent to you in advance, in three shipments over the course of the semester.
- All students will now be required to purchase a basic tool kit for $5. This one-time purchase will ensure students are equipped with the proper tools for future classes.
- Late registrations will be pro-rated based on the number of classes left in the session. This adjustment will be automatically applied in the cart. However, the materials fee will remain fixed as the kits are packed into 5 or 6-week sets in advance.
- Make-up classes will be available at the middle and end of the session. Please email our customer service team to be placed in one of the make-up classes.
Please note, we recommend registering 10+ days before the start of class if choosing standard shipping. Expedited shipping will be available at an additional cost. Local pickup is also available in Gowanus, Brooklyn, free of charge, until the day before class (Mon – Fri).
- Is it okay if my child has never taken a class with you before? Yes! We love meeting new students and we will be starting every new session with the basics, so no one will ever feel behind.
- My child is very mature for their age, may I sign them up for a session that is above their age level? Sorry, but we are strict with ages levels to ensure that children have a great experience during our classes. Please choose one of our other programs that corresponds with the child’s age.
- Are there any make-up classes? We will offer makeup classes at the middle and end of each session. The makeup class will most likely be at a different time and/or day than the child’s normal class. See our makeup policy for more information.
- My child was in your summer session and/or one of your other after school programs. Will the curriculum for this program be different? Yes! We create new projects every semester with as few repeats as possible. We will occasionally bring back some of our “best of” or beginner projects to get new kids up to speed but after that, the robots will be new.
- What is your cancellation policy? See our cancellation policy.
- What does my child need for the class? You will need a computer or iPad with a working camera and microphone, as well as the Zoom app. You will need the #1 screwdriver and tape, both of which are in the basic tool kit. You’ll need markers or crayons, and bonus crafting supplies always making decorating more fun! We do offer decoration kits that you can add to your order when registering if you’d like to have more of these materials on hand.
- The class is sold out. What do I do now? We regularly add classes due to demand. Please email our customer service team so they may contact you when a class has been added at your requested times.
- Will you be offering in-person classes? Yes, have re-opened our Atlantic Avenue location in Brooklyn and look forward to opening an additional location in Gowanus, Brooklyn in September 2021.
- I missed the Standard Registration cutoff, can I still sign my child up for classes? Yes, we will allow later registrations, if there is still room and the child won’t be starting too far behind the other students in the class. Late registration will be prorated or makeup classes will be scheduled for any missed projects. Please note that the materials will be pro-rated in increments of 5 weeks, as our materials are boxed-up in advance.