This 4-week course is for new and returning students, ages 9-13 years old who are ready to build and code! We will be using the fantastic Hummingbird robotics kit to teach programming.
This is a really fun class for children because it combines hands-on building and art, with real electronics (servos, LEDs, motors, sensors) and programming. Students will create robots that interact in the real world. No programming experience required!
Students will be taught in small, interactive classes each week. Each student will receive all of their robot-making supplies, including the Hummingbird robotics kit. Students will be required to have an iPad to operate the coding platform, as well as other basic household supplies (screwdriver, tape, etc.).
Each week, the teacher will lead the class through basic engineering and coding concepts as they build their robots together. These small online classes allow for plenty of instruction and fun along the way.
Once the class is over, your child will have the skills and confidence to build on their own using the Hummingbird platform.
Classes will take place Tuesdays this summer from 2 – 3:30p EDT (11a-12:30p PDT).
While the exact schedule is still in development, Coding classes will return more frequently in the fall. Please let us know if you would like to request a specific day/time. Registration will open in August.
|Tuesdays||2:00p EDT||July 21, 28 August 4, 11|
Due to the pandemic, shipping times are difficult to predict. Because of this, we cannot guarantee that you will start on a specific date. As individuals receive their kits, we will slot them into the next available class on the schedule that works for them.
Cost per session: $499
- Is it okay if my child has never taken a class with you before? Yes! We love meeting new students and we will be starting every new semester with the basics, so no one will ever feel behind.
- My child is very mature for their age, may I sign them up for a session that is above their grade level? Sorry, but we are strict with ages and grade levels. The child must be enrolled in the grade that is listed on that program.
- Are there any make-up classes? We will do our best to schedule another online session for your child for the project that they missed. The makeup class will have to be on a different day and/or time than their normal class. It may be the same week as another class, or later into their semester.
- My child was in your summer session and/or one of your other after school programs. Will the curriculum for this program be different? We create new projects every semester with as few repeats as possible. We will occasionally bring back some of our “best of” or beginner projects to get new kids up to speed but after that, the robots will be new. We are working on new curriculum for our online classes, but for now we only have one set of projects for each type of class, so we do not recommend repeating any of our classes.
- What is your cancellation policy? See our cancellation policy.
- What does my child need for the class? You will need an iPad with a working camera and microphone, as well as the Zoom app. We will provide you with a how-to guide on using Zoom for the class. You will also need to download the BirdBlox app.