We offer 4 types of after school programs, with a range in complexity based on children’s age and experience:
Fall 2019 Schedule:
*These are only the schools that have been confirmed for pickup. See our list of potential school pickups here.
- Classes are 4:00 – 5:30 pm
- If you’d like your child to stay later, we offer an extended day program, with homework help, until 6:00p for an additional $5/day. To sign up, simply choose to add this option when registering for classes. This is only offered as a package for the entire semester, not on a per diem basis.
- To understand the school pickup selection process or to see the potential pickup list go here.
Robot Crafting (K – 1st grade)
As with our weekend classes and summer sessions, we will be teaching the kids the fundamentals of engineering through hands-on learning.
Our K-1 classes are a bit more craft and design focused for our smallest builders. We will teach fundamental engineering concepts but with an emphasis on creativity and imagination.
Robot Building (2nd – 4th grade)
Each week we build a new robot and learn a new engineering concept. We will integrate hands-on building experience with demonstrations of engineered objects in the world that use the same concepts. Most weeks students will take home a robot or machine that they build.
Robot Coding (3rd – 5th grade)
This is a really fun class for children because it combines hands-on building and art, with real electronics (servos, LEDs, motors, sensors) and programming. The kids will work in small groups and create robots that interact with the other robots and environment. No programming experience required!
Check out this video to see what kids have to say about the class:
Robot Inventing (3rd – 5th grade)*
This is one of our favorite classes to teach because children have THE BEST ideas — and we get to help make the ideas become reality! Students use all of their knowledge from past Robot Foundry classes to design and create their very own robots. And to keep things even more interesting, we introduce new electrical components each semester. We encourage children to come in with all of their crazy ideas and any recycled materials they would like to incorporate!
*Prerequisite: This class can be very challenging, so we require that all students are in 3rd grade or above and have taken at least one semester of after school classes, or two weeks of summer session, with us in the past year! If they don’t meet this criteria, they will struggle and the semester will not be fun for them.
Additional Note: Some kids do well with this type of class and others do not. Please take into consideration your child’s unique personality before enrolling them in this class.
- For the most enjoyment, they have to be good at coming up with their own ideas and working without strict guidance from a teacher.
- There is a great deal of trial and error in this class. Sometimes new inventions are a success and sometimes they are not!
- Children may choose to collaborate in experimenting with the materials and/or working together to create projects, but it is not required.
- The children will bring home projects intermittently based on their own interest and work style. Some projects may require many weeks to complete.
Check out this video to see what kids have to say about the class:
Two weeks before the beginning of the semester (on or before Aug 27th), we will finalize the list of schools where we will be offering free pickup.
Some pickups may require that the children have a subway pass. Others will be done as walking pickups. We will not be picking up any children in a bus/van/car.
On or before August 27th…
- Any schools that has 4 or more students enrolled on the same day will get pickup.
- Any schools that have less than 4 children registered but who have expressed interest in pickup will receive a priority in the school selection. We cannot guarantee all who have registered will receive pickup, but we will do our best!
- Any families that will only be able to attend classes if we can guarantee pickup from their schools should send us an email and we will do our best to make that happen. The sooner we receive that request, the more easily we can accommodate it.
- After this date we may not be able to add additional pickups. Please contact us if you would like us to consider an addition and we will review for feasibility.
- Once pickups are finalized, you will be given the opportunity to receive a refund if your pickup could not be added. You must reply within one day of our notification in order to get the refund.
Below are the current enrollment numbers for local schools. If your child attends another local school and you are interested in pickup, please note that on your registration and we will update the list below. However, we must have 4 children from that school enrolled by the beginning of the session to accommodate any pickup requests.
The list below is up to date as of August 27, 2019
PS 295 (1 student – walking pickup)
PS 39 (1 student- walking pickup)
PS 124 (1 student – pickup not requested)
PS 10 (2 students – pickup not requested)
PS 107 (1 student – pickup not requested)
PS 321 (1 student- pickup not requested)
PS 10 (1 student- walking pickup)
PS 321 (1 student – B63)
PS 39 (1 student – walking pickup)
PS 154 (1 student- pickup not requested)
- Do we offer pickup from local schools? Yes, see list above for confirmed and potential pickups each day.
- Is school pickup safe and reliable? Yes, we pick up from close to 30 schools each semester and work very hard to make sure it is a seamless process for everyone involved! For all of the details, read about our school pickup system here.
- The class is sold out. What do I do now? Once a session is sold out, you will see a “waitlist” button. Please click on that and add your information. If spaces become available, we will let you know!
- Is it okay if my child has never taken a class with you before? Yes, the only exception is for Monday’s Robot Inventors session, the child must have taken at least one semester of our after school classes or completed two weeks of our summer session in the past year.
- My child is very mature for their age, may I sign them up for a session that is above their grade level? Sorry, but we are strict with ages and grade levels. The child must be enrolled in the grade that is listed on that program.
- Are there any make-up classes? Yes. You must contact us first and we will coordinate the date to do the makeup on a day with the same curriculum. It is possible to make up the class at another location. All make-up classes must be within the same semester and as soon as possible after the originally missed class. The project that they will be doing in the make-up class may be a project that they have already done or will do. We can NOT offer school pickup on make-up days. You are only allowed three make-ups per semester.
- My child was in your summer session and/or one of your other after school programs. Will the curriculum for this program be different? We create new projects every semester with as few repeats as possible. We will occasionally bring back some of our “best of” or beginner projects to get new kids up to speed but after that, the robots will be new.
- These after school programs don’t work for our schedule. Will you be offering other classes and events? Yes, please check out our weekend classes, full day sessions, and clubs!
- My child really wants to learn to solder. Will any of the after school programs have soldering? Yes, we sometimes offer a soldering after school session for older kids. But not for this semester.
- What is your cancellation policy? See our cancellation policy.
- What does my child need to bring on the first day? If your child uses an Epi Pen, inhaler or similar medication, then please have them bring those each week. If they are in the Robot Inventing class, they can bring their ideas for cool new robots with them, or we will help them brainstorm the first week. If your child has any sort of food allergies and will not be able to eat the snacks we provide, please send them with their own snack. We also encourage sending kids with a reusable water bottle.
- What do I need to provide prior to the first day? We get most of what we need from you during the registration process. However, if we are picking up your child from school, we will send you an email about a week before the class starts with additional questions, forms and information.
- Will you give the children a snack? Yes. If your child has any sort of food allergies though, please send them with a snack. We also encourage sending kids with a reusable water bottle. Go Green!