In this role, you will be teaching groups of children basic engineering concepts and guiding them in building their own robots. We will train you in all the unique skills, tools, and concepts needed for the position. Our teachers have backgrounds in various disciplines, including visual and performance arts.
- Teach robot-building classes
- Manage a classroom of kids for robot-building session
- Have an encouraging demeanor, promoting confidence in kids
- Ensure the classes stay on time, and within their agreed-upon time limit
- Troubleshoot robot issues (we will teach you how!)
- Stay positive and fun under pressure!
- Quick thinking & improvisation in the classroom
- Coordinate with other teachers, clients, and parents on site
- Outside of Classes
- Learning how to build the different projects
- Traveling to different locations to teach classes
- Keeping your tools organized and stocked
- Reporting feedback to the appropriate channels
- Enjoy working with children
- Love to make things with your hands (e.g woodworking, sculpture, crafts, set construction, baking, cooking, etc)
- Extremely reliable
- Are vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Patient and friendly
- Like having fun
- Believe in diversifying the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) classroom
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must be able to pass a CPR/First Aid certification (we will arrange a certification class)
- Must be able to walk 1.5-2 miles per day
Preferred Experience (not required)
- Teaching/leading a classroom
- Working with children in-person (teacher, camp counselor, babysitter, etc.)
- Working with circuits
- Using power tools
- Crafting/making things 3-dimensionally
- Using basic programming software
We are hiring a teacher for our Gowanus location (98 4th Street, Brooklyn). Many classes will take place off-site, at locations around NYC.
This is a part-time role with hours ranging from 25-40 per week. Precise schedule will be determined by program calendar and student registrations.
All new teachers will go through paid training and shadow senior teachers prior to starting. Exact schedule TBD. Teachers will also have to attend a CPR training course or provide proof of certification within the last year.
How to Apply
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org (identify the position you are applying for in the subject line). You must include both a resume and cover letter with your email to be considered for the position. If you don’t send a custom cover letter, your application will NOT be considered.
In your cover letter, please:
- Describe why you think you would be a good fit
- Describe your previous work experience
- Tell us about what types of things you like to build and make (pictures encouraged!)
- Detail your availability, including how soon you can start