Brooklyn Robot Foundry introduces kids nursery-age through middle-school years to the magic of robotics, mechanics, and programming. We offer highly popular After School Classes, Summer Camp sessions, Birthday Parties, and so much more. This is a woman-owned company focused on expanding kids’ ideas about what technology can be and who can do it.
We are growing rapidly and need more Assistant Teachers to join our team! We are especially looking for people who are creative, driven, DIY-lovers, great with kids, and deeply interested in learning more about STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math). We need people who can take a hot glue gun to popsicle sticks and cardboard and create something that physically holds up and looks totally awesome. Our Assistant Teachers come from all kinds of disciplines, including education, sculpture, carpentry, theater, and computer science.
In this role you will be working with a lead teacher and other assistant teachers to teach a classroom basic engineering concepts and to guide groups of children in building their own robot. When not in the classroom, teachers can also help design new robokits. We will train you in all the unique skills, tools, and concepts needed for the position.
While not necessary, we highly prefer candidates with experience:
– teaching/leading a classroom
– using power tools
– crafting/making things 3-Dimensionally
– working with circuits
– using basic programming software
We do require that you:
– At least 3 years experience working with children (teacher, camp counselor, babysitter, nanny, etc)
– Enjoy working with children
– Love to make things with your hands (e.g woodworking, sculpture, art, set construction, baking, cooking, etc)
– Extremely reliable
– Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
– Patient and friendly
– Must be able to lift 35 lbs
– Must be able to pass a CPR/First Aid certification
– Like fun
– Believe in diversifying the STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) classroom
This is a fabulous job for anyone who wants flexibility of a part-time job, or the opportunity to be intensely involved in a quickly-expanding business. There is a lot of room to learn new things, design new projects, and define your role in the company.
During the school year, we need someone who can work both weekend days and a few weekdays. During the summer the hours are different (see below). This is a part-time position.
- Monday-Friday: most shifts are 1:30-6:30 with an occasional timeslot in the middle of the day when we host field trips or toddler classes.
- Saturday: You must be available to work between 9:00 am – 10:00 pm. The shifts will last for only 5-8 hours within that window. Most shifts end by 7:30 pm but we occasionally need people to work till ~10:00pm.
- Sunday: You must be available to work between 9:00 am – 10:00 pm. The shifts will last for only 5-8 hours within that window. Most shifts end by 7:30 pm but we occasionally need people to work till ~10:00pm.
- Monday-Friday: either 8:00 am-4:00 pm or 12:00-7:00 pm.
- Saturday & Sunday: You will be asked to work the occasional weekend shift. You must be available to work between the hours 9:00 am – 10:00 pm. The shifts will last for only 4-8 hours within that window. Most shifts end by 6:00 pm but we may occasionally need people to work till ~10:00pm
We have three locations (303 3rd Avenue, Brooklyn, NY and 72 Warren Street, NY, NY and 1595 2nd Avenue, NY, NY). You have to be okay with working at all locations.
Send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must include both to be considered for the position.
In your cover letter you have to:
1. describe why you think you would be a good fit
2. describe your previous work experience with children
3. tell us about what types of things you like to build and make (pictures encouraged!)
4. your availability (confirm that you are available to work the hours above)
If you don’t send a custom cover letter, your application will NOT be considered.
Make the subject of the emails “Assistant Teacher Position”.
Brooklyn Robot Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/SO